Hmm. Hari ini cuti. Cuti apa? Hari ini seluruh Thailand akan meraihkan the 60th year of the King's accession to the takhta (iya, iya...my Malay vocabulary is limited). Sungguh boring lah! It's gonna be a lonnggggg weekend. I miss English Usage class! Hahahah, lol!
Last Wednesday, I was the moderator. I was supposed to cover Chapter 3 - "Close Encounters of the Morphemic Kind". Yes. While reading that chapter, I myself got lost in it. Confused. The terms are just so confusing for my poor head. I mean, it's not that hard to understand actually, but then when a lot of terms are used in the book, it gets confusing especially when the book gives different terms but in one way or the other, they actually have the same meaning and functions! Aaarrrgghhh! The challenge of being an English major. Hehehehe.
While preparing the questions for discussion, I was worried that I would not be able to get the class to participate in the discussion. I always have that fear. But, surprisingly the discussion was lively. It was really a good discussion. Everyone was saying something, especially when we got stuck in trying to explain and understand the meaning of "morpheme" and "morph". We had to end the class because it was already time. After class ended, some of us were not yet satisfied before we really understand those two terms. So the discussion continued at the cafeteria. Yes, while eating lunch. We sort of got to the point when we finally understood but not quite there yet. So, after lunch (it was already 2 o'clock, class ended at 12.40) we decided to ask one of the teachers who teaches language. While trying to explain, something struck us. So after that, we went in to our teacher's office and tried to explain to her what we understood. Once again we had a lenghty discussion with her. We were trying to create a simple but understandable explanation for the class. Laughter, frustration, pulling-of-the-hair feeling - all those were present. We finally left the office at ehm, I think it was a little after 3 o'clock. Yays. 3 o'clock. I think that's the longest discussion that I've participated so far.
Now, I sort of understand what "morpheme" and "morph" means. Sort of. I just realize - I love being an ENGLISH MAJOR!!!! LOL!
Gonna go eat breakfast now.
Have a good weekend everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment